Liberty Chapel History and Affiliation

 In 1835, Liberty Christian began to meet in a log cabin across the road from the current location. A group of 8 local citizens saw the need for a Christian fellowship.  The group built their first building five years later on land donated to the church; the cemetery occupies that land now.  No one is quite sure when the first building was built at our present location.

Diagonally across the country block, Robert’s Chapel Methodist Church originated about 1842.  It was renovated, moved from one intersection corner to the other, as was the Christian Church.  Clark’s Chapel was built in 1854 south of Liberty Christian. It disbanded in 1866 and merged with Robert’s Methodist. Both Liberty Christian and Robert’s Methodist were struggling when they united in 1947.

Liberty Christian had a few members and an adequate building, so Robert’s Methodist brought its group over and became Liberty Chapel Methodist Church. This merger came about after many meetings and discussions. Robert’s Methodist brought over their best building materials and repaired the Liberty building. Still the group struggled financially and in 1967 requested to be removed from the Methodist conference to become Liberty Chapel, a non-denominational community church.

After being plagued by low attendance & giving, & finding a pastor increasingly difficult to find, Liberty Chapel asked to align with Village Missions.  Village Missions provided a full-time pastor & Liberty Chapel provided a parsonage & utilities, 10% of undesignated offerings, and an offering toward the pastor’s salary. The first Village Missionaries arrived in 1983. By 1992 Liberty Chapel had become self-supporting & bought a parsonage in Waynetown.  Village Missions is a cooperative rural faith missionary society, caring for the spiritual needs of rural communities in the USA and Canada. Village Missions provides full­time qualified spiritual leadership where there exist a definite need to evangelize and disciple people to Jesus by the proclamation and demonstration of gospel. Vilage Missions serves by invitation from a local church in a non-denominational setting. The model is servant leadership earning the right to be heard by "preaching the Word and loving the people."

The churches, or mission fields, can be either of these types:

-a new church plant

-self­supporting churches unable to find a pastor

-small, struggling congregations without financial or leadership resources

Ground was broken on July 15, 1996, for an addition to the building and an extension to the sanctuary, a ground-floor fellowship hall, kitchen and bathrooms, and basement-level classrooms. Liberty Chapel met at Northridge Middle School cafeteria during the construction. The new facilities were dedicated on August 15, 1999.

Liberty Chapel celebrated the 175th birthday in July, 2010, looking back at our heritage and looking ahead at our ministry in this community, with Village Missions in other rural communities and around the world in our missions activities and missionaries.